German Ossuary

Tolmin

German Ossuary

At the confluence of Soča and Tolminka rivers and not far from Tolmin, an Ossuary for German soldiers, who were killed on the battlefield around Tolmin during the 12th Battle of the Isonzo, was built in 1938 by the state of Germany. The material for this cultural, historical and architectural monument was brought to Tolmin mostly from Germany, and it was a company from Munich which constructed it.

The central part of the monument is marked by the chapel with the interior divided into two parts: in the first the names of fallen soldiers are carved into oak boards, and in the second, which is divided from the first by an ornamental wrought iron fence, the names are written on the walls in mosaic technique. A symbolic tomb of an unknown soldier is shaped in the center of that part to honour all the there buried whose names are unknown.

Virtual reality presentation - exterior

Virtual reality presentation - interior

Opening time
Due to measures against the spread of covid-19 temporarily closed!
Entrance fee
1 € / person
FacebookYoutubeRSS