The Kanal Railway Station

Because of its important role in traffic and tourism, the Kanal railway station was more luxurious than the other SoÄŤa Valley stations. The express train offering fast passenger connections from Vienna to Gorizia and Trieste and back stopped only here and at Sveta Lucija (today Most na SoÄŤi). The train station was badly damaged during the First World War. The main building suffered only minor damage and therefore it was soon fully renovated. Its current appearance is almost the same as when it was built.

Although the majority of people living in this area were Slovenian, the station also had an Italian name when completed. In the interwar period, it was renamed Canale d’Isonzo, but in 1947 the station was renamed Kanal again.


Previous
Home
Next