Art nouveau memorial site

The soldiers of the 3rd Mountain Brigade of the Austro-Hungarian Army began building the church in Javorca on March 1st, 1916, and on November 1st, 1916, it already started serving its purpose. It was built according to the plans of the Viennese artist Remigius Geyling. The construction manager was Géza Jablonszky from Budapest.

The wooden parts of the altar inside the church are the work of the Tyrolean carver Anton Perathoner from St. Ulrich/Ortiseia. The uniform Art Nouveau interior and the names of 2,565 fallen Austro-Hungarian soldiers engraved in oak panels give it an important mark.


Coats of arms of the Austro-Hungarian monarchy

On the outer walls of the Church of the Holy Spirit in Javorca - from the entrance, clockwise:

Lower Austria
Lower Austria
Upper Austria
Upper Austria
Styria
Styria
Carinthia
Carinthia
Carniola
Carniola
Salzburg
Salzburg
Tyrol
Tyrol
Primorska
Primorska
Trieste
Trieste
Bukovina
Bukovina
Galicia
Galicia
Bohemia
Bohemia
Moravia
Moravia
Silesia
Silesia
Dalmatia
Dalmatia
Bosnia
Bosnia
Rijeka
Rijeka
Slavonia
Slavonia
Croatia
Croatia
Hungary
Hungary

Previous
Home
Next